Mencia at the met

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:48 am

While it's possible he's stealing jokes, it's also probable that he's not.

I've done stand up. For two years, I attempted to make money at it. I was never really any good, and the hours sucked, so I went to work for a grocery store (a stable paycheck is important when you have kids to feed).

Coming up with new material starts with watching the news. You find a story and make a joke from it. How many jokes can you come up with using the example of California building a wall to keep illegals out? How much would it sound like the joke that Mencia "stole"?

Mencia is a household name... he's friggin' huge. My take on it is that Rogan is jealous (while he's somewhat successful, he's certainly not a household name). Being a petty bitch on stage does not make you great.
"That's What"
- She
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 am

I just don't think it is necessary for Joe Rogan to harrass Mencia the way he is. He's not clever or sophisticated about it at all. He bombards Mencia with his comic "clique" around and they drink beer and get a rise out of making someone else feel shitty. He really reminds me of a Jock picking on a nerd.

Which brings me to another reason I like Mencia...he's smart. Ned was 1 semester away from getting his bachelors degree in electrical engineering when he began pursueing his comic career, or so I've read.

Joe Rogan successful in his own right...peh! Everything he's on he's either a reality show host or a 2 episode guest. He tells people to eat testicles and watches people fight. He's scraping the bottom of the show biz barrel and pretty soon he'll drop off all together. There are hundreds of average Joe Rogans types out there, but there is only one Mencia. Mencia has his own show on comedy central, that's big time this day and age. Joe Rogan is just butt hurt that his shows never make it past the first season.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :dance:
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Deater wrote: Which brings me to another reason I like Mencia...he's smart. Ned was 1 semester away from getting his bachelors degree in electrical engineering when he began pursueing his comic career, or so I've read.
Yeah that sounds smart...
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 pm

He was smart enough to decide to pursue what he loved 100%, and he has become very successful at it. Plus, a BSEE is quite the fallback plan.
Encap
Mourner of flies

Post by Encap » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Ned wrote:The chinese guy was all "CHING CHONG WING DONG" and the white guy was all "OH HOWDY THERE!" and the black guy was all "DOOBIE WOOBY BWOOOOO" and the retard was all "DEE DEE DEE".

Aren't we all the same, really?
Ugh, it's not innovative, insightful, or even funny. He just spews stereotypes and makes his voice REAL LOUD so you know he's REALLY BEING FUNNY! WHOOOOOO!

I wouldn't measure his quality by his success. McDonalds is a very successful restaurant.

My favorite Mencia bit is the one where he talks about how you shouldn't fight with your loved ones because they might get hit by a plane. It's touching and funny at the same time.

Dear Carl,

Maybe next time you could suggest that an Asian was flying the plane and hit the building. HEE HEE HEE! HOOOOOO! ZING!

*** - After watching, it seems that Mencia's big defense is "He's Jewish, You're a Whiny Bitch, Secretly You Love Me"

Eh. I hated Fear Factor. Maybe they can drive off a bridge together and argue as the car fills with water.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Encap wrote:Maybe they can drive off a bridge together and argue as the car fills with water.
That would totally be a pay-per-view event!!

I'd shill out the $10 to watch it! $15 if they had Rush in the trunk!!
"That's What"
- She
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:57 pm

I hope you mean fat guy Rush Limbaugh and not Canadian Supergroup RUSH. Because if you mean the later we can't be friends anymore.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:44 pm

jc wrote:I hope you mean fat guy Rush Limbaugh and not Canadian Supergroup RUSH. Because if you mean the later we can't be friends anymore.
We're still tight! :-)
"That's What"
- She
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:10 pm

I don't really care about this. I think Mencia's an idiot. I think Joe Rogan is an idiot. I think Dane Cook is an idiot. And I'm not terribly fond of the work of those they steal from. But I do know two things beyond question:

1) A good comedian, with a good brain can make work that transcends comedy and becomes the social commentary of our time. Check with Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Lewis Black and George Carlin. They'll show you what good, original stand-up comedy can do. Louis CK is fine, but he's not capable of reaching this level. Something tells me he wouldn't be too broken up about it.

2) Wasting time comparing which one of the shit balls I listed in the first paragraph is the shitty, turdiest is a waste of my time that I should be able to sue for. So I won't bother.

My only point ever was that Mencia isn't to be revered. It isn't grade-A comedy. Its bottom-of-the-barrel, lowest-common-denominator bullshit, that at best appeals to the worst in people. Rich he may be, but as Encap noted, McDonald's sells the shit out of a fillet-o-fish. And lots of people have bought Kenny G records. Popularity means shit. It doesn't equal quality in any sphere.

Deater, I don't mean to single you out and point at you and say that because he appeals to you that makes you a racist or stupid. The truth is that you can't argue taste and if it makes you happy, then I'm glad it exists. Truly. I want you to enjoy it. But, I did bring all of this up, so that while you're watching him, enjoying what he does, you can consider these things and see if what he does has anything in common with all we criticize him for. That's all; just that you think about it. If you decide, "hey, fuck those guys on the message board, this dude's alright," then that's okay with me.

I do find it tragically ironic that so much ire and angst has been raised over who best can make us laugh and relax. It would be a good time to engage a sense of humor about now.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:39 pm

miftah wrote:It would be a good time to engage a sense of humor about now.
How about we start with a picture of my butt?

"That's What"
- She
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:52 pm

It's all good, I feel no angst in any of these posts. It's all just a matter of preference.

I smell what you're steppin in Miftah. I'll admit that there are times when I'm listening to Mencia and he is sounding preachy, and just pointing out how stupid people are, and it's kinda a downer. That is when I will do something else. But on the other side, there are times when I hear his stuff and it cracks me up; I also don't see Mencia attacking other comics on stage.

Dane Cook on the other hand...he cracks me up. Ya sometimes his mannerisms remind me of Jim Carrey, but he's got energy and he makes me laugh. And I also enjoy a quarter pounder with cheese now and then.

What IS funny is that Bio got a hot-link message from the Grumpy old woman, and he taught her how to do that. LMAO!
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Damn it!

Here's a larger new pic of my ass!
"That's What"
- She
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Nice ass.
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Oh crap, turns out I'm a homo.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:30 pm

None of the comics mentioned in the thread are any good, in my opinion. Everything that comes out of Mencia's mouth is so *expected*. :? Dane Cook is a frat-boy who will be hanging out with Pauly Shore in a couple years. He's the human equivilent of movies like "Dude where's my car", whose only value are as social barrometers for stupidity. And he reminds me of the dude who created "girls gone wild" to no end. :x Ugh.

My heart belongs to Eddie Izzard and Jon Stewart.
"Eccentrics are individuals whose rich imaginations outstrip their
surroundings." -Lord Whimsy