A place for anything and everything.
Painted

Post by Painted » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 am

It is a Samsung SGH-T319.
baldy
Limey boy

Post by baldy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

http://vx8300.blogspot.com/

part way down the page it mentions BitPim settings, BitPim allows you to do seem edits on the phone, where you change the firmware on a bit by bit levl. So yes, the phone is infinitly hackable :)
baldy
Limey boy

Post by baldy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:34 pm

Painted, havent found any for you yet, but i will keep looking.
baldy
Limey boy

Post by baldy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:35 pm

Invalidating warranties is the most fun you can have with your clothes on :)
ironpants
metal butt

Post by ironpants » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 pm

baldy wrote:Invalidating warranties is the most fun you can have with your clothes on :)
Ya wanna come over here and invalidate my warranty?
:)
"The age demanded that we sing, and cut away our tongue. The age demanded that we flow, and hammered in the bung. The age demanded that we dance, and jammed us into iron pants. And in the end the age was handed the sort of shit that it demanded."
Painted

Post by Painted » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:26 pm

Well if you find something for my phone shout and I am good. LOL. I don't care about any warranties.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:45 pm

Painted wrote:I don't care about any warranties.
Especially Ironbutt's!!
"That's What"
- She
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:15 pm

To those of you in the cell business, do you know if the idea referenced here is accurate? Can you just take any ol' previously purchased phone and sign up for new service off-contract? When Cingular bought out AT&T Wireless (you know, before AT&T bought Cingular) the GF and I were way excited, because we thought we were walking into a golden age or rollover minutes. It turns out our phones were incapable of different accounting procedures and we would have to get new phones (and new contracts) in order to get rollover. So we flipped Cingular the bird and stayed on our old plan.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Yes and no.

You can buy a cell phone but not just ANY cell phone and hook it up. In order to do this you need to EDUCATE yourself on how cell phones (and carriers) work.

There are three types of Cell Phones in the US right now.

TDMA
CDMA
GSM

They are not cross compatible. If your phone is a TDMA phone, you cannot buy a CDMA phone and expect it to work. SOME carriers offer two types of service but most just offer one. Once you know what kind of service your carrier provides you can buy accordingly. Example, you can by the Motorola RAZR in CDMA and GSM, they look the same on the outside but inside they are built to different specifications and frequencies. If you buy a GSM phone on ebay and take it to your CDMA carrier you just lost money and look like a dumbass.

Lastly, a cell phone has NOTHING to do with your contract, services, or rate plans (and thus rollover minutes) with the exception of some features like Text Messaging (called SMS) Picture Messaging (MMS) Web Browsing (WAP or BREW) etc. If your phone can't use BREW don't pay for a BREW service subscription.

So when you and your gf wanted to switch phones or something when Cingulair bought AT&T Wireless and they told you the "phones were incapable of different accounting procedures" that was a load of shit.
mudflap
semi accessory

Post by mudflap » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:46 pm

I was finally able to get rid of Sprint and I am the proud new owner of a Samsung Blackjack with an unlimited dataplan.

I gotta say - I LOVE this phone.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick
damaged_one
Young Pup

Post by damaged_one » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:11 pm

So when you and your gf wanted to switch phones or something when Cingulair bought AT&T Wireless and they told you the "phones were incapable of different accounting procedures" that was a load of shit.
This sounds like the phones were "locked" on AT&T and they needed Cingular phones to be able to use the Cingular rate plans. After the merger they kept the two systems separate and forced everybody to buy new phones that were "locked" on Cingular. There where some of us that just unlocked our phones and put Cingular SIMs in and moved to the Cingular system. (of course it helped that my wife worked for Cingular/AT&T at the time)
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Which is not the same.
Encap
Mourner of flies

Post by Encap » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:01 pm

Whoa... Who still sells TDMA phones?

Good luck with that grAMPS.
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 pm

Encap wrote:grAMPS.
Burn!
Tom
> noob

Post by Tom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:13 pm

I have the same digital lease. It rings I answer it....LOL I have a camera for pictures, my teeth are white not blue, and damn I am so glad I do not have to use a cell phone or a crackberry on a daily basis!