The Mandalorian

Reviews of movies, music, hardware, or whatever.
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

The Mandalorian

Post by eddiecanuck » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm quite enjoying it, just curious if anyone else is watching.
Hope to see more Star Wars series like this, new characters or existing ones.
I like the many references to the movies and the animated series.
bio
Resident Junky

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by bio » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:27 am

I've been watching and, for the most part, loving it! I really like how they've taken some rather obscure items from the Star Wars universe and put them up front and center, like the Mandalorian's ship, the Razer Crest (which first appears, incredibly briefly, in the animated series "The Clone Wars", season 2, episode 7 "Bounty Hunters", at 12:53 minutes).

There's actually a ton from the Clone Wars, and if you haven't seen that series yet, I strongly recommend it.

I know, I know... I'm supposed to be a Star Trek guy... and I still am, but I've grown rather fond of the Star Wars universe over the years. Probably because my grandchildren are absolutely enthralled with it. :)
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Still working my way through Clone Wars, then on to Rebels.
I generally like Clone Wars, although I have to force myself to suffer through the episodes that focus on either Jar Jar, or the droids. Those are pretty lame in my opinion and usually don't contribute much to the overall story.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 pm

I enjoyed most of the Clone Wars too, but like every series, there was an episode or two that didn't need to be done. You get to see how we go from Anakin to Vader over years. It also dug into Darth Maul quite a bit. Spoiler (highlight to read): he's not dead. Of course, if you say the movie "Solo", you already knew that. I was really happy that Disney decided to add one more season to the Clone Wars. It mainly focuses on Anakin's padawan, Ahsoka Tano. The original series left her storyline sadly deficient, and Disney thought they could clean that up. They did a great job!

Rebels is also good and goes deeper into the influence of Maul (he seems to be a recurring theme and I'm sure this won't be the last of him.) Star Wars Resistance is also worth watching (again: Disney). It can be campy and is probably meant for an audience younger than I, but it's still enjoyable.
"That's What"
- She
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:45 am

Have you watched the season (series?) finale? If so, what did you think?

Without spoiling it for others, I thought the CGI character at the end was very convincing! Also, if you didn't watch all the way to the end of the credits... you should :)

It did, however, have the feeling of a series finale, and not a season one. I'd like to see more adventures with Mando, but I've read that the actor was tired of the part and had a meltdown over always wearing a helmet in the middle of filming season 2 (which could explain why we saw a lot of his face in the 2nd half of the season).

What's your take?
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:39 am

HOLY CRAP!!!
That's my take.
The CGI was a little off, wish they would use more of the Deepfake technology for that sort of thing. But still awesome.
I think it was a good closing chapter, but I think they definitely have more Mando story to tell, just based off what happened in that episode.
They've already announced season 3 for next December. Maybe we'll see more Mando face in the future now that he's broken that rule.

And yes, I did see the post credits, very cool.
How long before we get to talk details?
A week, two?
:dance:
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:08 pm

The meltdown rumor had a very dubious source. Pascal has said he's enjoyed the challenge of acting through the mask and given how good he is at it, even limiting his eye movement in the Bill Burr episode to horizontal and vertical movement. But who knows. There's been more conflict on Twitter between Pascal and Gina Carano (who's a bit of a Trumper). Basically they've been sniping at each other over politics for a little bit, but I doubt that's enough to end the main story.

As for that storyline, I mean, there's lot of canon story details that says that things might not have ended quite so tidily as they imply, but I won't get into the details. They're out there if you're looking for them. I think they've been clever to end each season like they could call it the end if they needed to. I don't pretend to know what will happen, but if loving SW all my life has taught me anything, it's that the popularity of a character insures you will definitely get more of them in the future.

Speaking of, that post credits sequence has a lot of people wondering if it means that's the premise of S3, or a spinoff, or short episodic deal that turns up at the end of each S3 episode. I suspect we'll know more in the next week or so.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:43 am

By the by, The Book of Boba Fett was confirmed as its own standalone series to premiere in Dec next year. It is separate from Mandalorian S3, but S3 will be delayed to facilitate BoBF.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance