UT GOTY '99 vs. The Internet

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

UT GOTY '99 vs. The Internet

Post by bio » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am

I know that the concept of "the internet" wasnt that all that old when Unreal Tournament GOTY came out... but it did exist. You'd think it would actually freaking WORK without adding a metric shit ton of changes to your router and/or use 3rd party software.

zzottt and I finally gave up and found a server in Seattle to play on instead of banging our head against the damn wall trying to get our own server working.

I guess this is what happens when you attempt to play 20+ year old software.

It still holds up though. Graphics are dated as hell, but it's still totally fun as hell to play! The nice thing is you can almost play it on a toaster if you wanted to as the minimum system requirements are hilariously low.
"That's What"
- She
Gooch
Pants Lover

Re: UT GOTY '99 vs. The Internet

Post by Gooch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:21 am

There's a graphic update supposedly out there. Haven't messed with it yet. The steam forums make it sound SO easy to host a server. WTF?
If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 am

I've done it before in the past, opening up or LAN parties to those who couldn't make it in person, but it seems like it was a pain back then too. Of course, I didn't have half of Afghanistan's poppy fields nuzzled up to my brain back then either (legally, I remind you... LEGALLY!!).

I'll look into it again, see why I can't do port forwarding (that's gonna be a call to Comcast for sure!), and we'll get this rolling. Until it's fixed though, the easy solution is still "just use someone an existing server with no one on it".

Also, zzottt is still a completely evil bastard in first person shooters. Sure, he acts all calm and quiet, but give him a keyboard, mouse, and internet connection and he's suddenly a gun wielding murder machine.... and that's why we love him!
"That's What"
- She
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:57 am

Ok... stupid... but I got the port forwarding set up.

For Xfinity customers with the X1 modem, you have to turn off "Enhanced Security" to add the ports, but that can only be done on your cell phone via the xFi app (not by logging into the damn modem, not on the Xfinity website), then you add the ports to forward and their target (again, phone app only!). I also double checked my firewall settings just to be sure. In theory, this should work... in theory. No way to know except to try.

Even if we get that working, there's the issue of IPv4 vs IPv6. I know that I technically have both, but I was no longer able to host a Minecraft server once Comcast switched over (Minecraft didn't support IPv6 and the IPv4 address didn't work). I'm not sure if they fixed that or not.... only one way to find out I guess.

I miss the old days when I had complete control over all of this crap :(
"That's What"
- She
Gooch
Pants Lover

Post by Gooch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 pm

bio wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:57 am I miss the old days when I had complete control over all of this crap :(
People aren't users anymore, they're consumers. Consumers don't WANT to deal with all that crap.
If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:45 am

Gooch wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 pm People aren't users anymore, they're consumers. Consumers don't WANT to deal with all that crap.
True that.

On the upside.... SUCCESS, BITCHES! We were able run our own server last night due to my ninja powers of clicking on things and looking at other things! Of course, I still got my butt handed to me, but that's another story. At least I have a valid excuse!

And now that we got that working, I'm gonna go play a completely different game because that's what I seem to do. Good thing I've bought a dozen or so games in the last 30 damn days (I've still paid less than going out to breakfast once a week!)
"That's What"
- She