processor

Reviews of movies, music, hardware, or whatever.
CrazyAlabamianLlama

processor

Post by CrazyAlabamianLlama » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:45 am

i have a hp pavillion a305w that i got about 6 years ago. my CPU ia running at 2.70Ghz and i have 1.24GB of ram and i want to see if i can upgrade my processor. im not sure how much i need but i do alot of 3d drawing and flash. any help would be apriciated
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:27 am

Um.... what brand is your processor (good stuff to know). And what socket is your motherboard (more good stuff to know).
"That's What"
- She
CrazyAlabamianLlama

Post by CrazyAlabamianLlama » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:33 am

Intel Celeron, and im not sure where it is located and all my system told me is that it was on a microsoft acpi-compliant system...lol...but no not sure where its at tech terms
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:37 am

Unless you know the socket type, there's no way anyone can tell you what you can upgrade to. Different processors require a different socket. You can't put them in any other style of motherboard.

Also, the motherboard itself may have restrictions on how fast you can go (Dependant on bus speed, etc.).

Sorry... but you're going to have to learn a lot more about what you have before anyone can tell you what you can do with it.
"That's What"
- She
Rocketdork
A.B. Normal

Post by Rocketdork » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:57 am

The easiest way to upgrade it is to lift up the cover, Hold it very high in the air and drive a NEW PC under it.

Upgrades rarely get you what you are looking for.
"A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons"
moe flam
born with a banjo

Post by moe flam » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:02 pm

I agree. If you're not 100% technically fluent in all things hardware, its a nightmare waiting to happen. I think there's a synergy with hardware generations that's best to maintain, since some bottlenecks (disk i/o, memory speed, etc) can prevent other upgrades from doing you any good.

I also think good software maintenance can best processor upgrades in most cases (watch your startup programs for example.)
Work is the curse of the drinking class
CrazyAlabamianLlama

Post by CrazyAlabamianLlama » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:32 am

ok well all that is next on my list or shit to learn...any good book that anyone recommends for this? and i have decided to build my own computer so does anyone know where i can find a motherbord that can handle at least 4 gigs or RAM and a badass processor that comes with it cause obviously i have no idea what im doing on that part...thanks
moe flam
born with a banjo

Post by moe flam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 am

Check out tomshardware.com and pricewatch.com
Work is the curse of the drinking class
CrazyAlabamianLlama

Post by CrazyAlabamianLlama » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:35 pm

very cool thank you :D