Skull Island!

Reviews of movies, music, hardware, or whatever.
miftah
le moth

Skull Island!

Post by miftah » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:53 am

I wasn't interested at first, but I have to say, as pure eye candy goes, this one has my attention.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
bugfreezer
Arthropoda Cryogenicist

Post by bugfreezer » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 am

Saw that...it has mine. After all, they upgraded Jack Black.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
- Sir Winston Churchill
ZIPPER
fly guy

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:18 pm

No matter what they do, they couldn't make it any worse that the 1976 remake that was set in the 70's. I like the fact that they are using the same time frame as the 1933 film. I can't remember any one film that has been made better by modernizing into the present time.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " -- Ronald Reagan
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Oceans 11?
"That's What"
- She
ZIPPER
fly guy

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:54 pm

bio wrote:Oceans 11?
I liked the original but I have to admit that I haven't seen the new one. I thought that that one might get me in trouble but I had hoped it wasn't that good. The one thing you have to remember with the original is that the roles were more based on personality then on talent. I, for the most part have been so disappointed by the modren remakes that I refuse to see them.

I would rather see the film companies restore the originals and show them in the theaters. They might do it to except for the "almighty dollar". Disney did it for years and made quite a lot of $ from it until the home video market got big.

Would classic movies like "To Kill A Mocking Bird", "Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window"or dare I say it, "The Breakfast Club" gain anything from being brought into the present time?

BTW- I would see this remake of King Kong because the original movie was technically stunted by its special effects and the 1976's by its script reworking.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " -- Ronald Reagan
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:03 pm

The original still stuns me. When I force it through the remembering-the-timeframe filter it flat-out knocks my jaw open.

As for Ocean's 11, the original is okay. Its 2nd and 3rd acts are fucking boring though. Too much Dino farting out a song, not enough of their inherent charm. As for the remake, I like Brad Pitt in comedy and I think Clooney is about as solid a comedic actor as they make them. Its a good cast. That said I still haven't seen the sequel, mostly because they put that T-Mobile chick in it.
ZIPPER
fly guy

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:54 pm

miftah wrote:The original still stuns me. When I force it through the remembering-the-timeframe filter it flat-out knocks my jaw open.
I agree! :D

miftah wrote:As for Ocean's 11, the original is okay.
When I say "liked" it isn't a high rating. It means I may watch it a few times in my lifetime. The biggest problem with it is it has too many inflated heads in it. I think Frank is one of the worst actors ever :roll:
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:56 pm

You ever see the original Manchurian Candidate?
ZIPPER
fly guy

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:07 pm

I did but it was so long ago I don't remember very much. It was a good 15 years ago. Some of those years are kinda fuzzy.

My favorite was remake movie was Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum. Hated the remake.