I need a new phone, looking for reccomendations

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

I need a new phone, looking for reccomendations

Post by bio » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 am

I have the Samsung Galaxy S7, and it's rather long in the tooth. I was thinking of upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S21+ Ultra 512GB, but was wondering if anyone has a better recommendation.

iPhone is off the table, android only please :D
"That's What"
- She
miftah
le moth

Re: I need a new phone, looking for reccomendations

Post by miftah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:09 pm

I recommend looking through the reviews at MKBHD. I think he's pretty fair in most aspects of his reviews. While he does have a great deal of appreciation for Apple, he actually uses both Apple and Android phones as daily drivers so he's insightful in both worlds. I mean, I'll never buy an Android phone, but I do tend to watch his reviews of non-Apple devices as well, to stay versed in what's possible outside my very comfortable tech bubble.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
zzottt
obsessive regular

Post by zzottt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:32 am

I like the motorola's I have had for the last few phones. But I am at the point where I dont give a F about fancy phones.

does it make calls and accept calls with ease? Can I use signal on it? Does it have a good web browser? Will it survive a couple falls?

SOLD!

bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you for the replies!

Because having a massive amount of internal storage and fantastic cameras were on the must have list, we ended up with what I was leaning toward in the beginning, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G with 512GB. I've ordered two unlocked phones from Amazon, but they won't be in stock until mid next month, so I can cancel at any time before that. Amazon did come in hundreds below everyone else, so that was a plus. Their phones are also free of the crap the cellular companies like to install that you can't get rid of (I don't need Madden NFL 21, plsmktks!).

We did consider the Pixel 5, a rock solid phone (and much cheaper!), but with a max of 128GB of storage and no microSD for expansion, it was no bueno.
"That's What"
- She