I stuck my toe back into the shit machine

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

I stuck my toe back into the shit machine

Post by bio » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:47 am

My mother-in-law had her facebook account hijacked back in November, and after a long and arduous attempt at reclaiming it (Facebook was zero help), I had to salvage what I could, create a new profile, and tell all of her friends what was up. A few people thought my message was an attempt to hijack her friends, but so far, people have been good about migrating over.

And that made me do something really, really foolish.... I posted on Facebook, for the first time in over 7 months.

People pounced on me in a positive way (which made me feel loved), but I've also had do some deep cleaning: removing many from my feed and outright unfriending others.

The algorithm when a bit something like this:

Dropped from my feed:
  • Believes the election was stolen
  • Believes 5G causes covid
Unfriended:
  • Believes the storming of the capitol was a good thing
  • Believes Democrats are cannibalistic child molesters who drink the blood of their victims and wear their faces as masks
I'm ok with differing political beliefs, so long as they based in reality. But there's a metric fuck ton of crazy out there, and I want far less of it in my life (and feed).
"That's What"
- She
miftah
le moth

Re: I stuck my toe back into the shit machine

Post by miftah » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm

We knew there was some gullible/stupid out there but I don't think anyone sincerely thought it was this bad. I'm shook. I've been adept at checking how much cross over my friends have in that area and I've been happy to find none, but I'm also very aggressive at managing my friend count and I'm CERTAIN that I have merely let them go already. I sure I know people from my past who've been bitten by the Q-Zombies.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:25 am

The whole Q-Anon thing baffles me. Wanting to believe that your candidate won an election they clearly lost is one thing, believing the garbage Q-Anon pushes is absolutely off the scales crazy.

Congratulations to Republicans everywhere: your cuts to education combined with your deregulation of news media outlets has come to fruition, and has also taken over your party. The GOP is officially the party of the crazy.

See also: Marjorie Taylor Greene
"That's What"
- She
zzottt
obsessive regular

Post by zzottt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:25 am

thats what happens when you base a whole movement on

do your own research bro
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:20 am

bio wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:25 am The whole Q-Anon thing baffles me. Wanting to believe that your candidate won an election they clearly lost is one thing, believing the garbage Q-Anon pushes is absolutely off the scales crazy.
When I first head mention of "Q-Anon", I had no idea what it was. Heard it was a conspiracy theory/movement whatever, but no idea what it really was.
Then I did just a basic search to see what it really referred to, I was also just completely shocked that it in any way caught the traction it did with people. And then the scale on which it is believed, not just a handful of people. It's just insane.
I've been lucky not to, at this point and as far as I know, know anyone directly that believes it. I'm not sure what I would do if someone I know started telling me about it and how they believed it.
It's really scary to know that amount of crazy has probably really been there for a while and in the last 5 years has just been empowered to come into the spotlight. How the hell do you fix that level of crazy?