We live in the future!

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

We live in the future!

Post by bio » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:53 am

I stopped using my ASUS router a while back because it was causing issues with the Xfinity modem I'm stuck with (I have a home security system that will only work with their hardware). Unfortunately, when I did that, my washer, dryer, roomba, LED floor lamp, and refrigerator all stopped talking over the network (different network, SSID, etc) and I didn't get around to dealing with it until now.

While I was ok with not getting notifications that the fridge door was still open after 30 seconds, not being able to control the roomba from her recliner was really bugging my wife because she had to physically get up and push the button on the device to make it work (so very 20'th century!). She reprogrammed the roomba last night and tasked me with the other appliances and such. I just finished the last and most difficult one.

Is this really important? Nope. But the fact that I had to reboot my refrigerator to make it connect to the new network wasn't lost on me.

We truly live in the future!
"That's What"
- She
zzottt
obsessive regular

Re: We live in the future!

Post by zzottt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Cosmo Spacely has been asking when you are going to return to work....
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 pm

zzottt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm Cosmo Spacely has been asking when you are going to return to work....
LOL!
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Our washing machine just crapped out and it's not cost effective to fix it.
We've been talking about what we want to replace it with, and we both agree we don't want one that has wifi and everything.
I'm sure it's handy and all, but that's just one more thing I have to mess with when the router reboots or it looses connection some other way.
I've got all sorts of other connected stuff, mostly light switches and the thermostat, I'm just not up for the appliances yet.
All I need is for someone to hack my stove and burn the place down. (yeah I know that's not really how it works)
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm

You can buy one that is wifi and smartphone app ready and then never activate the feature. On all of my appliances, the "network of things" feature is disabled by default.
"That's What"
- She