It's 4:47am

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

It's 4:47am

Post by bio » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:47 am

Just thought you should know.

Also, this is what happens when you fall asleep so early the night before :(

EDIT: for those who don't know, the forum doesn't play by DST rules (partially because only the USA does this, and 100% because DST is stupid), so it's off by 1 hour for a part of the year.
"That's What"
- She
zzottt
obsessive regular

Re: It's 4:47am

Post by zzottt » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Daylight Savings Time is the devil
bio
Resident Junky

Re: It's 4:47am

Post by bio » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:32 pm

It is when you work in the tech sector.

Most if the companies I supported used UTC (GMT) for timestamps on their utility reads, but one company chose to use local time (and follow DST). EVERY SINGLE YEAR they'd call us on the first business day after DST ends, freaking out because they had a double the reads during the 1am hour, and some readings would be higher than readings taken later during that hour.

EVERY SINGLE YEAR, I'd have explain that because they use DST, AND that at 2am it reset the clock to 1am, all the new reads woul come in higher than the previous reads during the original 1am timeframe, then I would provide them with the same script every year (they never seemed to save it) which would remove the original 1am reads.

And before you ask, no, there was no turnover. I got stuck in a conference call the same guy and his same management team EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Also, when the government decides to change when DST happens, that plays havock with data centers. Switches were never designed with that in mind and we had to figure out how to recode those that were older and unsupported by the manufacturer.
"That's What"
- She