Far Cry 5... only $8.99

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

Far Cry 5... only $8.99

Post by bio » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am

If you've been thinking, I want to play a killer AAA game, but I'm also a cheap bastard, then oh boy... do I have news for you! Far Cry 5 is on sale on Steam for a whopping $8.99+tax until July 20th (it's normally $59.99).

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

The sale is, of course, for the vanilla version of the game. If you want a few extras (a few extra weapons, missions, and side characters), you'll have to pay a few dollars more, but it's still crazy cheap!

I'm sure this is because they just announced Far Cry 6 (which looks OMFG THE AWESOME!!!!). As always... I'll be buying this for a stupid price the day it comes out. It's an amazing franchise and the bad guy this time around is Giancarlo Esposito (aka, Gus from Breaking Bad and Moff Gideon from The Mandalorian). Badass!!! It takes place in what on a Latin American island that's totally not Cuba (hehe) this time, and in addition to the typical jungle stuff, there will be urban combat this time. Joygasm!!
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Re: Far Cry 5... only $8.99

Post by eddiecanuck » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am

I've never gotten into Far Cry, not sure why. And I don't have a PC/Laptop that is really gaming worthy. I game on my Xbox. I normally have trouble getting in any real gaming time, what with competing with the kid, and several of my games not really something he should be playing yet.
So I recently bought an Xbox One X for my bedroom so I get more time to play.
That does sound like a fun series though. May have to check it out if/when it get some deals on Xbox. They run various deals each month.
Last month I picked up NHL20 (surprisingly fun), Crackdown 3 (I played the first 2 and loved them), and Grand Theft Auto 5. Added to my Assassin's Creed games, and Fallen Jedi which I haven't finished yet, not sure I can take up another game.

But I did see that Gus Fring is the new bad guy for this, so that definitely peeks my interest.
zzottt
obsessive regular

Post by zzottt » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:22 pm

Far Cry does drag on a big and become repetitive but 5 was pretty good for the most part. The Character cut screens were amazingly done.
Gooch
Pants Lover

Post by Gooch » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Everybody online says 4 was the best one, but they're wrong. 5 totally is. 3 had the best villain though! Vaas was so well done. Just incredible.
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?
If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 am

eddiecanuck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am I've never gotten into Far Cry, not sure why. And I don't have a PC/Laptop that is really gaming worthy.
Sacrilege
eddiecanuck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am I game on my Xbox.
SACRILEGE!!!
eddiecanuck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am But I did see that Gus Fring is the new bad guy for this, so that definitely peeks my interest.
That was my first take too. He's gonna be bad ass!! Here's the offical trailer (sorry... https broke the youtube imbed so It's gotta be a link until I fix it)

I fixed media embed!!
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 am

Well, well, I just checked and guess what game is available on Xbox for only 8.99? That's right, Far Cry 5. :D
So, opinion please... do I get the Standard Edition for $8.99, or the Far Cry® 5 + Far Cry® New Dawn Deluxe Edition Bundle for $19.99?
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 am

bio wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 am
SACRILEGE!!!
Yes, I know, but lack of time and funds has put me in a place where I don't build my own PCs anymore, and finding a stock one that meets my needs is tough. The Xbox is just "easier", and I know that too is SACRILEGE!
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:15 am

eddiecanuck wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 am Well, well, I just checked and guess what game is available on Xbox for only 8.99? That's right, Far Cry 5. :D
So, opinion please... do I get the Standard Edition for $8.99, or the Far Cry® 5 + Far Cry® New Dawn Deluxe Edition Bundle for $19.99?
Definately get the bundle for $19.99

Far Cry 5 New Dawn takes place 20 years later (or something like that), and fills in the holes. It's also crazy fun! While shorter than Far Cry 5, new dawn has features that 5 doesn't. The Deluxe pack also comes with a bunch of weapons and such that basic doesn't.
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 am

Done.. now I just need to find time to play it.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am

You won't regret this. It's awesome!
"That's What"
- She
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:41 pm

bio wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 am
eddiecanuck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am I've never gotten into Far Cry, not sure why. And I don't have a PC/Laptop that is really gaming worthy.
Sacrilege
SACRILEGE!!!
eddiecanuck wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am But I did see that Gus Fring is the new bad guy for this, so that definitely peeks my interest.
That was my first take too. He's gonna be bad ass!! Here's the offical trailer (sorry... https broke the youtube embed so It's gotta be a link until I fix it)

I fixed media embed!!
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:18 pm

Yeah, I'm dredging up the past a bit, but I'm about to finish the game and have caught some spoilers that the ending, in my opinion, makes the game itself somewhat irrelevant. I mean, when I play a game I would like to think all the stuff I'm going through is going to matter. But the ending seems to indicate that my character has been wasting his time. Now as a player I've been enjoying the hell out of it.

I've got a couple side missions to finish up, then go meet the big boss. I think I'll try and get it over with quickly so I can jump into New Dawn.

Is the ending to the main game similar to other Far Cry games or is this one unique in that manner?
zzottt
obsessive regular

Post by zzottt » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:27 pm

the only way to really have a different outcome is to not arrest the cult leader at the beginning. Otherwise the ultimate outcome will come no matter which choices you make. The choices will effect dialog but not the greater outcome
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:18 am

zzottt wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:27 pm the only way to really have a different outcome is to not arrest the cult leader at the beginning. Otherwise the ultimate outcome will come no matter which choices you make. The choices will effect dialog but not the greater outcome
FarCry 4 did the same thing. If you waited in the room at the beginning for long enough, Pagan Min (the antagonist) would eventually come back from torturing your friend (you get to listen the whole time) and helicopter you straight to the mountain to spread your mom's ashes (the whole reason came there to begin with).
eddiecanuck wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:18 pm ...I've got a couple side missions to finish up, then go meet the big boss. I think I'll try and get it over with quickly so I can jump into New Dawn.

Is the ending to the main game similar to other Far Cry games or is this one unique in that manner?
Sorry I missed your post back in February (bad admin, no biscuit!!).

The story has an ending, but the game never really ends, as you can keep taking settlements and hunting creatures over and over. Unlike FarCry 5, you can't restart the story and keep all of your unlocks (new game+). You have to start with a clean slate and do it all over again. Not that it matters, the game is stupidly fun, and you can play coop with a friend via the interwebs.

FarCry 5 also lets you do Arcade, which is a collection of single maps created by Ubisoft and other players. Again, you can play solo or with a friend over the web (Gooch and I have done this a LOT!!!). There are some really good maps in Arcade, so try it out! (or make one of your own)
"That's What"
- She