Beer Keg Rocket Launch

A place for anything and everything.
Rocketdork
A.B. Normal

Beer Keg Rocket Launch

Post by Rocketdork » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am

Over the past weekend I went to a large rocket launch called BALLS in Nevada. This is an event where a bunch of like mined dorks gather and launch rockets that we've build, the difference is that we make the motors too...

One group that is pretty close to our group launched a FULL KEG of BEER to about 6000ft. They tapped the keg within about 5 minutes of landing. The full rocket weighed in over 300lbs and launched on a "P" class motor. It was one of the best uses of a rocket motor of the event!

Video below;
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXZfCXgY3P4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXZfCXgY3P4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons"
ZIPPER
fly guy

Re: Beer Keg Rocket Launch

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:14 pm

I am willing to bet that that keg was nothing but foam.

Cool vid!
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " -- Ronald Reagan
Rocketdork
A.B. Normal

Post by Rocketdork » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:13 am

Not when I got to it...Good beer from the Roots brewery. Didn't even think to ask how bad it was when they tapped it.
"A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons"
bugfreezer
Arthropoda Cryogenicist

Post by bugfreezer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Obviously good PR for the keg maker - "Survives 6000 foot drop without popping!"
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
- Sir Winston Churchill