Ach, I have to start a blog

A place for anything and everything.
ironpants
metal butt

Ach, I have to start a blog

Post by ironpants » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:27 pm

It's been strongly suggested professionally (read "You better get off your ass") that I start to publish my methodologies and techniques for managing temporal data. While the subject matter probably excites the people that frequent this site to no end, I figured you guys may be the best to ask for help. My vision is a simple blog, but the idea of managing one more server/website gauls me to no end.

Any suggestions on a good prefab blog service? Don't need much, just like it to be easy and somewhat pretty.
"The age demanded that we sing, and cut away our tongue. The age demanded that we flow, and hammered in the bung. The age demanded that we dance, and jammed us into iron pants. And in the end the age was handed the sort of shit that it demanded."
mudflap
semi accessory

Post by mudflap » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:20 am

Wordpress is probably your best "no work required" bet....but you stop saying "blog" - call it a tech journal or something. the word blog sounds like something you would use to describe an unflattering bodily sound.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick
bugfreezer
Arthropoda Cryogenicist

Post by bugfreezer » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:51 am

If site administration is a beef you could use blogger/blogspot or some other service.

If you wanted your own domain name for branding purposes, I'm sure that there are services available that let you do your own domain name while they host your journal.

Perhaps one of us Dreamhosters could be of assistance, for that matter....
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
- Sir Winston Churchill
ironpants
metal butt

Post by ironpants » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:08 am

mudflap wrote:Wordpress is probably your best "no work required" bet....but you stop saying "blog" - call it a tech journal or something. the word blog sounds like something you would use to describe an unflattering bodily sound.
Sorry, as odd as this sounds (cause I've been working for dotcoms forever) I'm fairly new to the social internet space.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see what happens.
"The age demanded that we sing, and cut away our tongue. The age demanded that we flow, and hammered in the bung. The age demanded that we dance, and jammed us into iron pants. And in the end the age was handed the sort of shit that it demanded."
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:26 am

Wordpress is what I use.

Of course, it requires that you have a domain and server to place it on as well as mySQL for the back end. While it's stupid easy to set up and manage (and is updated very often), if you don't have the server or access to a mySQL server, then follow Bugfreezer's advice and use blogger.
"That's What"
- She
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:18 pm

GoDaddy has everything in one spot. Pretty cheap, too.
"Eccentrics are individuals whose rich imaginations outstrip their
surroundings." -Lord Whimsy