tat's at work

A place for anything and everything.
moe flam
born with a banjo

tat's at work

Post by moe flam » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Fine, I regurgitate mentalfloss. :)

But I liked one of their links, both because of content and page layout. Unique page construction is difficult to find (although the nav took a little getting used to...).

Authors
Work is the curse of the drinking class
mudflap
semi accessory

Post by mudflap » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm

That's pretty neat. I like the fact that tattoos are moving from "social deviant" to "socially acceptable".
Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13 pm

It's felt like it's been moving in that direction for a while now. I still hear a lot of anti-tattoo people spouting the typical "that won't look good when your 60" though. Heh You know, because they're going to be hot 60 year olds. Since they resisted getting a tattoo and all. :roll:
"Eccentrics are individuals whose rich imaginations outstrip their
surroundings." -Lord Whimsy
mudflap
semi accessory

Post by mudflap » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Moxie wrote:It's felt like it's been moving in that direction for a while now. I still hear a lot of anti-tattoo people spouting the typical "that won't look good when your 60" though. Heh You know, because they're going to be hot 60 year olds. Since they resisted getting a tattoo and all. :roll:
I'm fairly confident that both of us will be flaming hot when we're 60 :D
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 am

Hee! :P
moe flam
born with a banjo

Post by moe flam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:30 am

Moxie wrote:I still hear a lot of anti-tattoo people spouting the typical "that won't look good when your 60" though. :roll:
Yes, that was everyone's favorite first comment. I think content plays a big part here... the 'Juicy!' above-butt tat or 'I heart Chumbawumba' arm band tat won't be so hot 30 years from now.
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:03 am

moe flam wrote:or 'I heart Chumbawumba' arm band tat won't be so hot 30 years from now.
Uhh..... I have some bad news for you...
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 am

Watch, That kind of shit will be the upmost statement of irony adored by next generations hipsters.
moe flam
born with a banjo

Post by moe flam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 am

miftah wrote: Uhh..... I have some bad news for you...
My Chumbawumba sleeve is already outdated? Forum member already gone down this road? I knew I should have gone more obscure. :oops:
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 am

I still don't have any tatt's. It's not that I'm against them, but rather that I've never found anything that I'd want to put on my body. I had thought about getting my social security number done in bar code on the back of my neck, but am very glad I didn't (people would think I'm a huge fan of the TV show "Dark Angel").

When getting a tattoo, one should think carefully about what to get BEFORE they do it. It should have meaning if it's going to be on you forever. Just walking in and picking something off the wall because you want a tatt is all kinds of lame.

We play a little game called "Spot the rose" when we go out drinking (since a rose on the shoulder seems to be a popular tattoo choice for women who didn't know what to get when they walked in to the tattoo parlor).
"That's What"
- She
mudflap
semi accessory

Post by mudflap » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:58 am

I have 6 tattoos. Each one is symbolic of a time in my life. That may not be readily apparent when looking at them but I don't mind that. I didn't get tattoos for other people, I got them for me.

Some people have commented that they don't "go together" and they're right - they don't :D
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:24 pm

mudflap wrote:I'm fairly confident that both of us will be flaming hot when we're 60 :D
The two of you being flaming hot in your 30s certainly gives you a very good start.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
moe flam
born with a banjo

Post by moe flam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:18 pm

mudflap wrote: I didn't get tattoos for other people, I got them for me.

Some people have commented that they don't "go together" and they're right - they don't :D
Exactly! Short of the few on this forum, I don't talk about them at work. They're for me, not for 'work' to know about. A personal thing, that also are about a time and event in my life. I'm getting another in December, which falls under 'very calculated spontaneity'.

Ben Harper has a tribal type deal over his arms and shoulders, that aren't random enough for me. I want each one to tell a story.
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:58 pm

I have five, and they all go together, in the sense that they are similar in design. I spent about five years weighing and considering before I went ahead with my first one. There is some general meaning behind a couple of them (the fertility symbol hidden within the body of the rose*- most people don't realize they are looking at a naked woman until I point it out- the numbers on the dice that sit below the cocktail glass, the placement of one on my bicep, a nod to my sailor Father), but they are basically just there to adorn my body. I see it (my body, I mean) as one continuous convas to do with what I wish, instead of being broken up into segments or time periods. They are all black and gray with white shading, and they are all very old fashioned. They make me feel like an Ellen Von Unwerth (NOT work safe, btw) photograph or a rebelious, dandy flapper. Immense care has been put into it.

*which is about as far removed from your standard lady rose as you can get, btw, it being about five inches tall, thick and stumpy and almost masculine with it's thorns and vines, it looks more like a carnivorous creature in repose than a plant.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Of course, if you're all hardcore and such, you'll say "tattoo's are for pussies!" and go for something like this!

[spoil]
[/spoil]

Of course, I wonder how such scaring would affect your mobility later.
"That's What"
- She