Buying a vehicle is a pain in the ass

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

Buying a vehicle is a pain in the ass

Post by bio » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:00 pm

We went to the Toyota dealer and test wrecked a 2005 Highlander tonight.

Nice.

Of course, they didn't have the hybrid version that we want, but it gave us a feel for how it's going to drive... and it drives pretty nice. The salesman was trying to get us "on the list" by putting money down right now.

On a car that they don't have.

So we can be 5th in line to take whatever they get.

Um... I'll wait till you have one, thank you very much.

So.... being that we were already on Auto Row (an area of East Sprague Avenue that is populated nearly completely by car dealers), we stopped at the Ford dealer to look at the Escape.

Well... they had one, but it was in the shop getting ready for customers (apparently it just came off the truck). So we talked to the dealer about it.

He basically said (and I quote): "You don't want one, they're not worth it".

:shock:

Apparently, the Ford runs on batteries up to 25 mph, then the engine kicks in. If you have the heater or AC turned on, the engine is always running. So... for your extra $5,000.... you get the same exact mileage as a normal Escape.

Unless you never turn on the AC or heat, and keep it under 25mph.

Hmmmmm.....

That's something that never crossed my mind. I'll be calling the Toyota dealer again tomorrow and asking him about that to see if they do it differently.

Funny thing about the Ford salesman though... he didn't offer to show us anything else. He did talk about his new '05 mustang though. I guess he's pretty proud of it, because that's all he talked about.

*sigh*

So... unless we find out that Toyota has a different way to heat/cool their vehicle (or that it does it more efficiently), we're off the hybird shuffle and will pry get something that gets better mileage without all the fancy bits.
"That's What"
- She
AsaJay
pantera pilot

Post by AsaJay » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:01 am

Bio,

Please don't trust the dealer, at all. Go to http://www.ford.com and research the thing online. You might find different information.

The reason I say this, is that the salesman you talked to, obvioiusly had an agenda. They are trying to sell the '05 Mustangs, and are failing badly.

One of my wife's brothers, works at the Ford dealer in Cheney. Talking with him, they are selling '05 Mustangs like crazy. So well in fact, they have to buy them from the -other- Ford dealers in town, who apparently are having trouble selling them. Gee, I wonder why, too high a price, or crappy salesmen, I dunno.

Keep doing the research and let us know what you find.

FWIW, also keep in mind that most hybrids get their best mileage "in-town", and -not- on the freeway.
Pigman

Post by Pigman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:43 am

If TOYOTA is on your mind, I can vouch for the folks at Parker Toyota.. No pressure, will get you what YOU want, etc. I specifically recomend Jason!
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:56 am

AsaJay wrote:The reason I say this, is that the salesman you talked to, obvioiusly had an agenda. They are trying to sell the '05 Mustangs, and are failing badly.
They didn't have any to sell. He only had one Mustang... and '04, and he didn't even offer to show it to us. He also didn't offer to let us look at the normal Escape.

It was bizzare.
pigman wrote:If TOYOTA is on your mind, I can vouch for the folks at Parker Toyota.. No pressure, will get you what YOU want, etc. I specifically recomend Jason!
That's the impression I got. I was dealing with two guys, Nick and Brian. Both were pretty cool. They did want us to take a vehicle home with us... give it the overnight test drive, but we declined.

If the hybrid gig doesn't work out, we'll look at other options. We are replacing the Durango, just have to decide what to get instead.
"That's What"
- She
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:50 pm

Just a quick note:

The Toyota hybrids are the same way as the Escape. Fantastic mileage... until you turn on the heat or the AC. Then they get about the same mileage as a normal car.

With the additional price of about $5,000 for the hybrid version, that would fill over 168 gas tanks (today’s value of $2.49 per gallon). It would take a long time to break even with the cost (depending on how often you fill up). Filling once per week (from a totally empty tank) would take just over 3 years to hit the break even point. Realistically, it would take about 6 - 7 years for us to recoup the extra cost, and well trade it in long before then.

Of course, gas prices change, but you get my point.
"That's What"
- She
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:02 pm

That's one of the reasons we've decided against the hybrid. I'll wait until they've figured it out a little better.

Speaking of getting vehicles, anyone interested in a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab? I'm looking to sell mine. I'm tired of vehicle payments. :)

Let me know if you are.
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:13 pm

I don't mean to sound sort of condescending here, but were any of you actually expecting to see a significant savings on a hybrid SUV? I'm not pulling the usual anti-SUV bullshit here, because most of you live in areas that require their utility. But the bottom line here is that the only reason any of us are paying more at the pump is because the average consumption of fuel is WAY up. The price is jumping to meet the demand. Most people don't need to drive vehicles that large and their opulance is hurting the rest of us.

The jackass wearing the business suit next to me at the pump the other day had a $75 tank of gas. I asked him if he ever took the vehicle off road and he said, no, but part of the drive to his house is on gravel roads, so sorta. Fucker. I almost asked him if I could tack my $7 ghetto-fill onto his credit card.

Hybrid behicles are only viable when one isn't hauling an extra half-ton of America's fat ass around.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
ZIPPER
fly guy

Post by ZIPPER » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:24 pm

I drive a full size diesel pickup and use it to haul quite a bit. It gets way better gas mileage than anything that uses gas for its power. My biggest complaint right now is here in Spokane, Diesel cost $2.75 while Regular Gas is only $2.25. Being that Diesel is much cheaper to refine, it really burn my ass that it is now (since last year) priced always higher that Gas. :evil:
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " -- Ronald Reagan
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Post by eddiecanuck » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:53 pm

Don't know about Bio, but I figured there wouldn't be AS good of savings with the hybrid SUV over the non-SUV hybrid. They do get better mileage than a non-hybrid SUV, but they don't get enough to make it worth the purchase.

As for the vehicle I use, I have the 1500 Dodge first because I like it :) , secondly I use the 4x4 in the winter to travel bigalow gulch and my place is now a little out of the city, and third cause it's big enought to haul the family and whatever crap I have to haul (dump runs, moving people, etc). I've not gone off road so much as hauling stuff. I'm looking to downsize some though to a smaller SUV to keep the 4x4 and still have some room to haul the family and stuff. But I do agree with you on people driving more what they need as opposed to it being a status symbol.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Now she's looking at the Jeep Grand Cheroke Laredo.

It's actually affordable, (about $31k with all the features she wants.... heated leather seats, etc.).

She won't entertain the thought of a car, so that's out.
"That's What"
- She
AsaJay
pantera pilot

Post by AsaJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:15 am

eddiecanuck wrote:That's one of the reasons we've decided against the hybrid. I'll wait until they've figured it out a little better.

Speaking of getting vehicles, anyone interested in a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab? I'm looking to sell mine. I'm tired of vehicle payments. :)

Let me know if you are.
I'd be interested, if it was a four-door, full size bed, four wheel drive, with the diesel. But then, I'd have to have the money to pay for it. :)
AsaJay
pantera pilot

Post by AsaJay » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:18 am

miftah wrote:I don't mean to sound sort of condescending here, but were any of you actually expecting to see a significant savings on a hybrid SUV?
Good point.

In my case, I've looked at what I would call "commuter specials" in hybrid varieties. However, I found out they only get that super good mileage around town. Since I live out in the country, it became real issue. There really wouldn't be any savings for me, or the environment. Still, if Smart starts importing, I just might have to buy one, for the bling.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:31 am

All I have to say is: BRING ON THE DAMN FULE CELLS!!!

The technology is there. We need to start installing the infrastructure for hydrogen distribution (and yes... I want them to run off of hydrogen, not friggin' gasoline like the auto makers are leaning toward... what's the point of that?!?).
"That's What"
- She
ironpants
metal butt

Post by ironpants » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:33 am

bio wrote:Now she's looking at the Jeep Grand Cheroke Laredo.

It's actually affordable, (about $31k with all the features she wants.... heated leather seats, etc.).

She won't entertain the thought of a car, so that's out.
I've stayed outta this thread cause I'm one of those SUV owners. Actually, now we own two! But we carpool to work, on of them just kinda sits there.

The second one is kinda new (at least to us) we were shopping for a new vehicle for my wife (and near future children). We shopped realy hard, looked at almost everything on the market and came to own a 2002 Landrover Discovery SE7. It had 30,000 miles on it, but damn what a truck! If you're looking at the Jeep, at least try and give the Disco a shot, there's a bunch of them over here like the one we picked up in the $20k range.

It's kinda neet to have a vehicle that can actually go anywhere on earth, we've definately had a lot of fun working out the auto leveling suspension and hill decent. And it's kinda fun to hit the "extra lift" button at a stop light, kinda looks like a hooptie!

ROh
"The age demanded that we sing, and cut away our tongue. The age demanded that we flow, and hammered in the bung. The age demanded that we dance, and jammed us into iron pants. And in the end the age was handed the sort of shit that it demanded."
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:59 am

She want's something brand new... perhaps.

We got to talking last night, and now she's toying with the idea of keeping the Durango, dumping some money into it (replacing the front end), and paying off other debits with the extra cash (my motorcycle has the highest interest rate of all our vehicles, so that would pry go first).

I'm not sure what she'll decide to do, but when she does decide, that's what we're gonna do.

... and stuffs.
"That's What"
- She