Mencia at the met

A place for anything and everything.
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Mencia at the met

Post by Deater » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:06 pm

Tonight I went to see Carlos Mencia at the Met in Spokane on his Punisher tour. He is one funny Mo Fo. One of the opening comedians was his brother Joseph Mencia. It's so nice of him to give his brother a Yob.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :dance:
Encap
Mourner of flies

Post by Encap » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:21 am

To sum up: White people are all DO DOOO DOO DOODODODOOO, Black people are Boobadooodoodoooobadoooooo. I'm mexican, weeeeweeeeweeee.

Sorry Deater, I don't mean to give you a ride on the school bus of pain, but Mencia is a straight up racist with lowest common denominator humor, and the parts you thought were funny, are likely stolen from other comics.

Mencia holds no truck with me.
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:26 am

Well every comedian has a premise. Carlos Mencia hangs out with people of all sorts of races and some people need to lighten up. If anyone were to actually listen to what he is saying, they'd find he is not speaking about hate. The people at the show were of all sorts of colors and lifestyles. If the black, white, mexican, gay, or whatever individuals can listen to his comedy without taking it all too seriously, I'm sure you can find it in your heart to do the same. As for stealing material....Haven't you ever seen an issue come up in the news and then every comedian on TV makes a joke about it? Does that mean that every comedian who makes a joke about a subject, except for the first one, is a plagerizing? I don't think so. Joe Rogan sucks ass!
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:55 am

I can't speak for Cappy, but my issue with him isn't that he's preaching hate. The problem with him is that he's preaching stupidity. His material comes from relegating any particular group down to its worst singular aspect and then harping on it like its the group's only feature. I don't really find this sort of malignant simplification funny. Mostly because its the same racist bullshit most of us have had, at some time in our lives, to listen to some redneck spew. Really. The only difference is that he means it to be funny rather than hurtful. Or both. But then again, most rednecks think they're being funny too.

And while I find Joe Rogan about as funny as a tumor, Mencia steals. Period. Ask George Lopez about it. Also, ask Mencia about his Mexican heritage. Because he's half-Honduran and half-German. The guys about as authentic as a gas station burrito.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
Encap
Mourner of flies

Post by Encap » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:15 pm

Deater wrote:The people at the show were of all sorts of colors and lifestyles. If the black, white, mexican, gay, or whatever individuals can listen to his comedy without taking it all too seriously, I'm sure you can find it in your heart to do the same.
Certainly some of my best friends are black, and gay.
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Note this thread's many silver-dollar sized bruises... that is from me poking at it with a 10' pole.
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Mencia is controversial at best. Anyone who thows a post up here extoling him should know they're going to get a mouthful back. And I'm fairly certain Deater knows the difference between an opinion and insult. Or at least he should.
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:03 pm

You are all so smart and funny, that's why I like to take a mouthful from you once and a while. *<==3 Just don't expect me to swallow, I'm a spitter. Ha ha. No, I think diversity and freedom of speech are what make this country great, I'm sure most of you feel the same way. Anyone wanna get into religion, abortion or politics? I'm free choice on all three subjects. :lol:
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:18 pm

Ah, self-effacing sexual innuendo. Deater, you're going to fit in just fine here.
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Mencia: p4wnage
Moxie
forum courtesean

Post by Moxie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:52 pm

I'd like to see Colin Quinn curb-check him.
"Eccentrics are individuals whose rich imaginations outstrip their
surroundings." -Lord Whimsy
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:20 am

Wow, Joe Rogan really comes off as a cock in this one. He reminds me of those jocks in high school that still haven't done anything with their lives. I'd understand George Lopez or the amazing racist leading the anti-mencia march, but what does Joe Rogan have to do with this? Maybe he's upset that he isn't as successful as Mencia and he keeps getting type-casted as a buffoon, the type of moron that Mencia makes jokes about.

Who cares if his name is Ned and not Carlos? How many celebrities out there have stage names...several. He has a premise, he's been successful, and now I can see that he can take criticism like a man. Go Mencia.
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:57 am

Well first of all Joe has been successful in his own right, I wouldn't consider him type cast at all. He's done Fear Factor, The Man Show, News Radio, & He has his own show on satellite radio.

His business in this is that he is part of the comic community, as he is part of that social circle he has a right to speak about it.

True performers have stage names but Carlos has built his entire racist routine on a lie, he's not even Mexican (he's half German half Guatemalan) and his name is "Ned." That's the funniest "joke" he's ever done.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 am

Love him or hate him... it makes no difference.

He's still fucking rich.

And I agree that Joe Rogan came off looking like a complete dick in the video. He was on the assault and had an agenda. The jokes they cite are weak at best (and aren't terribly clever). It's entirely possible that two people can come up with the same joke.

It's also possible that Mancia is rehashing them. They're just pissed because he's more famous.

Whiny ass bitches all the way around.
"That's What"
- She
jc
chipotle quetzalcoatl

Post by jc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:21 am

Of course he had an agenda, he wanted to expose the guy as a thief. He has a real problem with it as do other comedians. It is not as important to the public but in their own social clique it is. I don't think he's jealous, as I said Joe Rogan is successful in his own right, and yes he too is rich.

Everyone always cries foul when people point these things out citing jealousy and what not but people were saying he was a thief before he was famous.