Superman Returns - non-spoiler

Reviews of movies, music, hardware, or whatever.
eddiecanuck
resident canuck

Superman Returns - non-spoiler

Post by eddiecanuck » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:25 am

Well I was hoping to go see this on Friday, but had to wait until Saturday so no big deal. Took the wife and kid even though it was PG-13. No more violent than a lot of other PG, PG-13 shows. Some of the previews were more questionable than the movie.

Anyway, the first great thing was seeing the Spiderman 3 trailer on the big screen. I'm dying to see that one. The black suit looks awsome. As for Superman Returns. I thought it was great. Had a ton of stuff tying it to the original series to help keep that continutity, but still taking the series in a WHOLE new direction. But you'll have to watch it to see how. I think the casting of Supes was spot on if they were going for the continuity. The guy could totally be Reeves' son. He played a lot of the dialog the same as Reeves too. Although his Clark Kent was quite as "nerdy". Wasn't a big fan of Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane. Not quite sure why but she didn't quite fit to me. That and she was way skinny, don't know if that was so Routh would look that much bigger next to her or what. Spacey was, well Spacey, the guy is brilliant. Does the Luther roll justice. The rest of the cast was pretty interchangeable. Could have had a number of choices there, so that worked fine.

The music was also great. I love the Superman theme, for me it's right up there with the opening music of Star Wars, just gets your blood pumping. And the use of it in the openeing credits and throughout the film was great.

The story was pretty good, although I'm still not quite sure why Lex did what he did other than he's "the crazy bad guy", but all in all a decent plot. The only thing I would have liked to see, was somehow relaying the fact that this takes place after Superman 2, for those that weren't aware (maybe some reference in a news article or something). I knew so it was no big deal, but I had to let my wife and niece know. So we actually watched Superman 2 the night before so my niece could have an idea of what happened. But even that point isn't too critical. I think it just plays into the direction they are taking the series.

The special effects, well they can pretty much doing anything now a days. The flying to me looked perfect. The way they set the scenes up really made you get the feeling of what it might be like to fly as Superman.

So obviously I give it 2 thumbs up. Great movie, great way to re-ignite the franchise. I think it was a smart idea to basically say Superman 3 and 4, well kinda just didn't happen (sorry Prior). Will probably see it again next weekend, and then again on IMAX just for the 3D effects.