Power Outage at Casa de Bio

Where to report problems with the forum so that they might be fixed.
bio
Resident Junky

Power Outage at Casa de Bio

Post by bio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:29 pm

The server was down for the last little bit because we lost power.

Apparently, my UPS is only good for 30 minutes. It started shreiking and I ran down to power the server down. By the time I found the power cord to the monitor, plugged it into the UPS, and hit the power button so I could see what I was doing... it gave up the ghost.

Anyway... all is good now.
"That's What"
- She
Painted

Post by Painted » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:00 pm

Our power went out twice...once when your son was here and then about at 10pm or something like that.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:05 am

Same at my place.

*grumble*
"That's What"
- She
Eve
Aussie Stalker Babe

Post by Eve » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:31 pm

Yep, the monitor is sure to suck out what little power your UPS has once the power has gone down.

To solve this problem and allow me to shut down my linux box ASAP once the power goes out (and while the UPS is still holding it up), every time use the linux box, when I am done I leave it at the shutdown command with the mouse hovering over OK (or if you are at command line, typing in the shutdown command with just "enter" to hit), then you either mouse click or press enter without having to turn on the screen. Once you get in the habit of doing that, life is good :D
Locked in a room with you, 2 tigers and a gun with 2 bullets, I'd shoot you twice.
Grumpy Old Woman.
bio
Resident Junky

Post by bio » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:36 am

Eve wrote:...(or if you are at command line, typing in the shutdown command with just "enter" to hit), then you either mouse click or press enter without having to turn on the screen. Once you get in the habit of doing that, life is good :D
There's no GUI on my server (pure command line goodness!!), so I'd have to take that route. Unfortunately, I have cats, and they have an annoying habbit of walking on keyboards.

In retrospect, I should have just typed "shutdown -h now" and pressed enter (though I would have to log in first.... I logout when I'm not using it).

I am, however, going to pick up another UPS with a larger battery.
"That's What"
- She
Eve
Aussie Stalker Babe

Post by Eve » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:36 pm

UPS' are hella expensive down here, so mine is really no good in a proper power outage (it's only a little one, with 2 puters, the modem and monitor plugged in).

I bought mine for where I lived before where I am now. It was in a newly built area with lots of power flickers. Not enough to cause a shutdown, but I wasn't going to take the risk.

Also fortunately, I don't have the cat or kid issue :wink: , so I can remain logged in :D
Locked in a room with you, 2 tigers and a gun with 2 bullets, I'd shoot you twice.
Grumpy Old Woman.