Work, sleep... repeat until dead (but get paid for it)

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

Work, sleep... repeat until dead (but get paid for it)

Post by bio » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:12 pm

Things are kinda nuts in my cubicle right now.

One of my duties is running disaster recovery for a utility company in PA. Currently, we're running a Data Validity test of our system, processing the same data as our customer does to prove that given the same inputs, we can produce the same outputs. That way, if they go down, we've proven that we can do everything they do.

Pure chaos.

Of course, they changed everything since the last test, meaning we had to rewrite most of our scripts and procedures (it would have been nice if they had told us up front about the changes... like they're supposed to!).

So... it's been 16+ hour days for me, trying to get a grasp of their new automation process and implement those changes on our end. Current status: working like a champ*.

On a side note... it's profit sharing day here at work (a big do around here). The day started off with a mimosa (champagne and orange juice) toast, live comic acts, and gifts (company branded socks, chocolates, etc). Later, they fed us lunch (about 40 6' long subs from Quizno's, uncounted cakes, sodas and chips).

Of course... the biggest and best thing of the day: the checks.

If all goes well (and it has), your check is about 4.5% of your annual salary. The more you make, the bigger it is. Suffice it to say... I'm pretty damn happy with it (it's bigger than a paycheck).

We'll finish the day off with an "all hands" company meeting at 4:30... complete with another champagne toast to the coming year (may profit prevail!).

Of course... I'll have to go back to my cube and continue working... but damn if this isn't a great company to work for!

*Edit (several hours later): replace "working like a champ" with "behaving like a steaming pile of shit". All hell broke lose with the processing and now I'm here again pulling another 16+ hour day.

Wheeeee!!!