This is hard

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

This is hard

Post by bio » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 am

After some 23 years, I've finally decided that it's time to put out that smoke and breath some air.

This is damn hard though.

I'm quitting for my own selfish reasons. It's not that I don't enjoy smoking or that they're expensive, but rather, because I don't want to be that guy who has to haul an oxygen bottle around with him for the rest of his life.

Anyway... this is very hard... I just thought I'd share.
"That's What"
- She
Rocketdork
A.B. Normal

Re: This is hard

Post by Rocketdork » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 am

More power to you...I just wish that I had the discipline to do the same. Someday soon.

The smoking crowd here at the Lazy I is shrinking dramatically. Layoff got a couple, several more have just quit.

Its getting lonely out there.
"A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons"
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Bio, good luck with all of it man, I'm in full support of what you're doing.

I'm sure you know, you've smoked longer than I did, but I tried so many times to quit and just started up again, but eventually it will work if you just keep at it. Even after several months, the urge to smoke still hits every now and then.

Every time you want a cigarette, just take a deep breath of fresh air and think of how great it is that you can still do that. If you pass the urge, you'll feel good about it, and for me, when I gave in to the urge, it made me feel bad.

Another thing I noticed for me, was that every time I tried to quit I would still have half a pack, then I would finish the pack before I would try to quit, still putting stock in these little cancer sticks. The one time that I had more success was the time I took that half pack, crushed it, and threw it away. Then I even tried to rationalize smoking cigars, taking one here and there, etc.

All I'm saying is that I understand Bio, keep at it, it'll keep you around longer and be well worth it.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :dance:
miftah
le moth

Post by miftah » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:36 pm

:smoke: :pimppy: :shoot:

:applause: :group: :applause: :worship:

Hang in there! Best thing you will ever do for yourself.

A couple things to add to the afore:

A) You are an addict. In the 12 steps, alcoholics anonymous sense of it. You will always be an addict. You can't have "just one" without asking the question whether or not you wish to return to smoking regularly. Be aware of that. I quit five years ago (tomorrow, strangely enough, is my anniversary). I do from time to time want one, but the only time I have given in and tried one, it was about a month and half in and mercifully, it tasted like shit. Crisis averted.

B) No matter the replacement method, your nicotine cravings will make you a bit of a bear. Be aware that little stresses will feel like epic afronts to your very existence. Try your best to not make those close to you suffer too much while you find your new balance.

C) You likely have two addictions but are only aware of one of them. In addition to the physical nicotine addiction, you also have a behavioral addiction that is the oral fixation that you indulge with smoking. Be careful about indulging the oral-fixation habits like gums and candies. You have a choice to make at this stage: Either 1) Choose to shake that addiction now, too or 2) Be prepared to add some girth on your wasteline. While nicotine does suppress appetite to some degree and does also maintain an effect on your metabolism, it isn't as much as you think. When people gain weight after quitting, its usually because they have sublimated their oral fixation addiction instead of breaking it with the nicotine addiction as well.

D) Within the next 3-4 months, start walking and then, if you dig it, start running (as your back allows - I'm hanging hope on your little battery pack fixing you). There's also swimming. You'll find there is a doldrums that sets in after you really shake the habit. You've set a goal and you've beaten it. You need a new one and your lungs need repair. Knock out two objectives together and start exercising. It is a goal-oriented activity that will take you in the opposite direction. This will also go to help mitigate any of effects mentioned in suggestion C.

Good luck and know I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. This is tough but you will be so happy you did this when you get through it. I was 1.5-2 packs a day. At my best, I was running 10 miles at a time and it only took a year's span in between. You CAN do this.
"Fear of the bee means the honey is for me" - Jhonn Balance
Deater
PB&J Pimp

Post by Deater » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Congrats Miftah! :applause: I got the food and smoking things taken care of, just trying to get into that running/walking thing you talk about...just don't have the motivation to do it everyday, but I'm getting there. I'm too tired in the morning and have no desire to do it in the afternoon. Just got a puppy though, so I can take him for walks, and with a kid on the way, I'm sure they'll keep me worn out. :D

Rocketdork, you know that whenever you decide to quit we all have your back. You're a very smart guy and I know you have it in you.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :dance: