Explod-o Pickle

A place for anything and everything.
bio
Resident Junky

Explod-o Pickle

Post by bio » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:01 pm

My son has a science project due for school.

Of course, he was way behind on it (thus, generating a phone call from his science teacher to my house on friday). So... instead of being allowed to use his computer this weekend (a fate worse than death), he got to do some research, then assist me in designing and testing his project.

The experiment he decided on displays the interaction of the sodium chloride in a pickle when exposed to electricity.

In a nutshell, you take a pickle, stick a metal probe into each end, suspend it from a NON CONDUCTIVE base, and apply 110 volts (aka: straight house current) directly into the pickle.

While insanely dangerous, it's pretty spiffy. The pickle glows bright yellow (and, of course, flames shoot out the side). There's also a lot of smoke and that wonderful "electrocuted pickle" smell.

This is a good one to do in the driveway.

His science teacher wants us to video tape it so they can display that at the school rather than have a 13 year old responsible for such a damn dangerous thing at the school (that and the fact it will set off all the smoke alarms).

I'll post the video after we make it (Eddie is loaning me his video camera, as I don't have one).
"That's What"
- She